Friday, December 20, 2013

The War on Yule



Image via

My friends, some of our oldest traditions are under attack. The faith that sustained generations of our ancestors through the long, dark winter nights is falling victim to the forces of "political correctness" that say there is no place for religion in public. They won't be happy until the only answer to "is nothing sacred?" is YES!

Via
That's right, I'm taking about the War on Yule. I was just at my son's school "holiday concert" this week, and they seemed to take great pains to avoid talking about any of the things that make Yule cool: There was no mention of Yuletide, no gigantic burning log, and not even one song about throwing a virgin in the bog for Mōdraniht. What the Hellmouth?

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for other religions. I would fight to the death to defend the gods-given right of my Druidic neighbours to burn their enemies in giant wicker statues, or my Olympian friends to anoint themselves with olive oil, tie up their foreskins, and do a public workout in the nude. It's a free country!

But some people hate our freedom. Just this week, Pope Francis of the Roman Catholics referred to paganism as "not nice". That's antipaganism! 

His people are quite happy to appropriate the traditions of the great holiday of Yule from "not nice" people — the tree, the mistletoe, the fire — without really understanding the reason for the season: binge drinking,  animal sacrifice and decking the halls (and ourselves) with the still-warm blood of the slain:
It was ancient custom that when sacrifice was to be made, all farmers were to come to the heathen temple and bring along with them the food they needed while the feast lasted. At this feast all were to take part of the drinking of ale. Also all kinds of livestock were killed in connection with it, horses also; and all the blood from them was called hlaut, and hlautbolli, the vessel holding the blood; and hlautteinar, the sacrificial twigs. These were fashioned like sprinklers, and with them were to be smeared all over with blood the pedestals of the idols and also the walls of the temple within and without; and likewise the men present were to be sprinkled with blood. 
Doesn't that bring back wonderful Yuletide memories? I can almost smell it. But perhaps soon, our children won't know the visceral pleasure of the holiday slaughter. It's a bloody crime.

You know who's behind this, don't you? The Atheists. Just look at what they're trying to ram down our children's throats:



Via

Via

I'm not buying any of it. If I want to wish people a "Good Yule" on the sacred solstice, I'll keep doing so, godsdammit! If we let these unbelievers sanitize our holidays, what's next? Will they take the gods out of the days of the week? I grew up with Tīw's DayWoden's DayThor's Day and Frigg's Day, and I'll be damned if secular humanists will destroy our most beloved and sacred traditions:



Good Yule, dear readers. And Merry Christmas. Stay warm, stay safe, and don't take yourselves too seriously.

1 comment:

  1. I'm an atheist, and I HATE THOSE DAMN ADS! I have respect for other people's beliefs, and I DONT want to force my beliefs on someone else. And yeah, atheists are definitely at fault. So sorry.


    Peace and Chicken.

    ReplyDelete