Monday, March 28, 2011

Don't steal computers belonging to people who know how to use computers

This seems too awesome to be real.

The Consumerist shared the story of Reddit user markbao, who had his laptop stolen recently. But thanks to technology:

The alleged victim was able to get the video remotely by accessing the storage cloud the laptop automatically backed itself up to. The video now has over a million hits on YouTube.

In addition, he says he was able to piece together enough information from the browsing history to identify the guy through Facebook.



It gets even better. According to the victim,

"Yep, the guy turned the laptop to the police this morning, and he sent me a heartfelt message asking me to remove the video.

Which I'm not going to do. He's not in a position to bargain."

Someone even posted the alleged thief's pitiful plea:

"
hey Mark.

I am sorry for all that I have done. I would ask for forgiveness in person but I am not allow to go back on campus for what I did. I was being a dumbass for thinking I could get away with something like this. I hope I didn't cause you so much trouble over it either. I went to your school at 2 am so i can try to fix things. I left the laptop there with campus police. I left a statement and I am waiting on the detective to look over the police report to see what will happen to me. Like I have said. I am truely sorry for what I have done and I promise you and myself that it would not happen again. I am not this kind of person. I am a respectful person and I don't know why I did something like this. I am sorrry for that.

I know I am in no position for asking you for favors but Can you please put down the videos that you have put up of me. I know what I did was wrong and if i was a different person line leave it up but I do have two Professional Jobs that iif something like that gets leak I can get in morre trouble and be more embarress as well. So I will Ask for that huge favor.

lf you want we can meet up so I can say sorry in person. I feel like that would be a good idea. It would not change much but at least I can say I said it in person."




Like I said, almost too awesome to be true. If it isn't the start of a brilliant viral campaign, I'm sure some marketing genius will rip off the idea within days...

1 comment: