Friday, May 27, 2011

F'd Ad Fridays: Dove skin whitening cream?

I can totally see how this one went down. The Art Director cast women of various ethnicities, to show "diversity". Then, at the photoshoot (or afterwards in Photoshop) arranged them in to create an aesthetically-pleasing gradation of skin tones. Without paying attention to the actual ad claim behind them:


As MB Quirk at The Consumerist points out, "I'm inclined to think, and I hope I'm right, that Dove is really saying any woman of any color could get lovely skin instead of rough by lathering up with this wash. Either way, whoever approved this ad should get a thump on the head and a 'What were you thinking?'"

What were they thinking indeed... especially since Unilever, who owns Dove, actually is in the skin-whitening business in South Asia.


[via AdPulp]

"Self-Esteem" my lily white ass...

3 comments:

  1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I to think that all of the fuss was caused by one simple mistake - a faulty layout. Dove's message of "real beauty" simply doesn't translate here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing this. I really feel as though I know so much more about this than I did before. Your blog really brought some things to light that I never would have thought about before reading it. You should continue this, Im sure most people would agree youve got a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is excellent post. Its having good description regarding this topic . It is informative and helpful. I have known many information from this.

    ReplyDelete