Thursday, September 1, 2011

It's 1979 all over again in advertising land

I'm (just) old enough to have gone to roller skating parties without irony.

To have (poorly) skateboarded on a plastic deck.

To have thought that this movie looked pretty cool:



I am also old enough to have watched older kids declare that Disco Sucks, and to recall that at my last roller disco birthday party, we skated to "Crazy Train" and "You Shook Me All Night Long".

But hey, times change. Younger people, living without embarrassing disco-era family photos, are free to relive the 1970s Venice Beach roller disco scene without shame.



But I have to admit, when I see those skates, socks and shorts, the commercial reminds me too much of this:



As long as I never have to wear nad-squeezing '70s ADIDAS shorts again, though, I'm happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment