Friday, March 30, 2012

The most F'd album cover you will see today #FdAdFriday

On Facebook, my old friend Omar shared one of those great lists of "world's worst album covers" that are always going around.

Most of them were known to me. But this one was new:



Not only is the title beyond awful in what it seems to be joking about, but the song titles are also full of painful puns:


  • "My Pussy Belongs To Daddy"
  • "Sadie's Still Got The Rag On"
  • "I Want A Man To Gimme Some Luck"
  • "I Tried It Everywhere"
  • "She Sits Among The Cabbages And Peas" (my favourite title)
  • "Don't Give Me No Goose For Christmas"
  • "He Forgot His Rubbers"
  • "Hey Mister Ice Man!"
  • "Things Are Soft For Grandma, Since Grandpa's Eighty-Four"
  • "Tony's Got Hot Nuts
It's a real album. Even more surprisingly, it was released in 1957!

It's even on YouTube:


This is where it shows its age. The music is jazzy, the lyrics are comical burlesque sung by Faye Richmonde (who doesn't seem to be remembered anywhere online except on download sites). And from context, I gather "Daddy" is an old-school term of endearment to her lover - whew!

I even found a copy of the album at an auction site. The description is kind of amusing, given the content:
"Smutty tunes with a nudie cover! Faye Richmond, Saul T. Peter, Angelina, and Miss Dee, accompanied by the Men Of Passion. Tunes include "She Sits Among The Cabbages And Peas", "Tony's Got Hot Nuts", "Sadie's Still Got The Rag On", and the title track. Adults only XXX. Cover shows a little handling wear on edges, and had a little color run w it looks like it was damp or wet in the bottom corner, record looks like near mint."
Here are a couple more tracks:



So there you have it: what appeared at first to be some kind of shock album ends up as evidence that our grandparents were just as perverted as we are. They just had the good sense to keep this stuff private.

2 comments:

  1. I used to have the girlesque burlesque album. I would have gotten the pussy-daddy one if I had ever seen it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a really fascinating journey through Google.

      Delete