Thursday, January 31, 2013

HMV Twitter account hosts parting shots from fired employee


Buzzfeed reports that a laid-off British employee of HMV sent real-time updates to the company's Twitter account as they were being fired. Here are some choice ones:




The tweets have been since been deleted and replaced with this:


You can see the rest here.

I guess the next time a big brand is planning big layoffs, they'll change the locks on their social media accounts first.

UPDATE: Tweeter @poppy_powers has outed herself as the one responsible.

Via Twitter
She Tweets:
I would apologise for the #hmvXFactorFiring tweets but I felt like someone had to speak. As someone without a family to support/no mortgage. 
I felt that I was the safest person to do so. Not to mention, I wanted to show the power of Social Media to those who refused to be educated 
Just to set something straight, I did not ‘hijack’ the hmv twitter account. I actually assumed sole responsibility of Twitter & Facebook - 
- over two years ago, as an intern. When asked (this afternoon), I gladly provided the password to head office. I also set another member of 
staff up as a manager on Facebook, and removed myself from the admin list. I didn’t resist any requests to cooperate. 
Since my internship started, I worked tirelessly to educate the business of the importance of Social Media – not as a short-term commercial 
tool, but as a tool to build and strengthen the customer relationship, and to gain invaluable real-time feedback from the consumers that 
have kept us going for over 91 years. While many colleagues understood and supported this, it was the more senior members of staff who 
never seemed to grasp its importance. 
I hoped that today's actions would finally show them the true power and importance of Social Media, and I hope they're finally listening. 
Now, I should probably go and hide for a while...Thank you so much for your supportive tweets! Much love to the hmv staff & customers
There's a big lesson to be learned there, but unfortunately she's limited her career by attempting to teach it to people who probably aren't listening.

Makes me miss the days of fuckedcompany.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment