Thursday, May 23, 2013

This is a much better way to challenge A&F's brand elitism







Meet Jess, AKA "The Militant Baker". In response to Abercrombie & Fitch CEO Mike Jeffries's 2006 comments (gone recently viral) that his brand was only for "cool" people and those who are below a certain size.

Mr. Jeffries has since sort-of apologized. But it hasn't stopped the shitstorm of internet activism against the brand. 

One of the better-known memes has been filmmaker Greg Karber's #FitchTheHomeless campaign, in which he tried to denigrate the brand by donating A&F clothes to LA's street people. But as I wrote in Osocio, that is a problematic scheme as it also denigrates the homeless.

Jess, on the other hand, uses the A&F brand to express her own self-confidence. As she wrote in her open letter to Mike Jeffries:
I was inspired by the opportunity to show that I am secure in my skin and to flaunt this by using the controversial platform that you created. I challenge the separation of attractive and fat, and I assert that they are compatible regardless of what you believe. Not only do I know that I'm sexy, but I also have the confidence to pose nude in ways you don’t dare. You are more than welcome to prove me wrong by posing shirtless with a hot fat chick; it would thrill me to see such a shoot.




Cheers, Jess!

Tip via Buzzfeed

No comments:

Post a Comment