Friday, April 26, 2013

Fly the creepy skies with Richard Branson



In this bizarre little video, posted on VirginAmerica's YouTube page last week, CEO Richard Branson lets you know how much superior he is to you. He also suggests that a great way to get "lucky" during your long air flight by buying an unsolicited drink, snack, or even full meal for an attractive stranger in another seat:



How this was expected to be a good idea is beyond me.

Policymic's Elizabeth Plank recounts the horrific reality of being the recipient of unwanted sexual attention while trapped on a plane:

...the flight in which I experienced sexually harassment offered free alcoholic beverages. I was 19 and it was my first time flying alone. My harasser took advantage of the free booze policy (although he eventually ended up being cut-off by staff). He didn't need a "seat-to-seat delivery" to harass me. He didn't need the CEO of a flight company to make that process more convenient (and entirely acceptable). He was drunk and he felt entitled to me and my body. 
He touched my thighs. He touched my hair. He verbally harassed me. He sent me lewd notes while I tried to pretend to sleep in the hopes that he would just stop. Maybe if I closed my eyes, he would just disappear? He didn't. My disregard for him only made him more persistent. When I shouted at him to get him away from me, he told me I was overreacting. He said I was the crazy one.  
I had nowhere to go. I coudn't escape. I was 35,000 feet in the air and there was no exit. I was trapped. I was being stalked and my attacker was stuck to me like glue. There wasn't any other seats on the plane. He was so close to me that I could smell his intoxicated breath.
Welcome to Virgin America, the airline "dedicated to making flying good again"...

No comments:

Post a Comment